October 22, 2012
KEEP FIT: RUNNING
TIPS FOR IMPROVING YOUR RUNNING
Careful preparation before a race is important. Warming up prepares your body fro exercise. Here are a few simple warm-up exercises for you to try.
First jog slowly for about 800 metres. Then do some gentle exercises like these to stretch your cold muscles. Count slowly to 5 after each exercise Then relax and repeat the exercise.
1. Stand with your feet apart. Bend your head slowly to the right. Don´t move your shoulders. Then bend your head slowly to the left. Relax your shoulders. Then bend your head forwards. Repeat 3 times.
2. Stand on your left leg with your right leg on a bench. Stretch forward carefully and touch your right foot. Bend your hips. Don´t bend your legs. Count slowly to 5. Then repeat 5 times on each leg.
3. Stand with your feet apart and stretch your arms out to the sides. Raise your left arm above your head. Bend to the right gently and touch your right leg with your right arm. Count slowly to 5. Repeat 5 times on each side.
4. Stand with your feet apart and your hands on your legs. Swing your right arm forwards above your head and backwards in a big circle. Then repeat with your left arm. Swing your arms quicly. Swing them forwards ten times and then swing them backwards another ten times.
5. Sit on the ground with your feet together. Bend your knees and pull your feet towards your body. Then push your knees gently towards the ground. Repeat 5 times.
Always remember to cool down at the end of your run. Start cooling down with some easy stretching exercises like these above. Then do some gentle jogging.
Click on the photo to do the exercises.